Thursday, September 06, 2007

Pioneer Vinegar Pie Recipe

This search is for my friend and third grade teacher, Wava, who will soon celebrate her 90th birthday. She remembers her mother making Vinegar Pie when she was a small girl and Wava’s grandmother made Vinegar Pie as a Kansas Pioneer, while living in a sod house in Western Kansas.

Vinegar Pie was a pie that pioneers made in the winter when the dried fruits had been depleted. I’ve included two Vinegar Pie recipes. The second Vinegar Pie recipe is very basic (the instructions are a bit vague) and probably more like what the pioneers made when supplies were low. The pie is suppose to have a rather fruity flavor. Click here to check out these Vinegar Pie recipes.

If you want to learn more about Kansas’ pioneer women, an excellent book to read is “Pioneer Women : Voices from the Kansas Frontier,” written by Joanna Stratton. If the book isn't available at your library, you can use the link on the Vinegar Pie Recipe page to order it from Amazon.

With the help of our visitors we have found:
Crumble Griddle Cakes (found by Priscilla)
Mustard Bean Pickles (found by Colleen)
Peanut Candy with Sorghum (found by John)

We also have a few new recipes that have been submitted with their memory to Heritage Recipes:
Grandma Smith's Icebox Cake
Mam's Banana Cake
Chunk Sweet Pickles
Oma's German Style Spare Ribs
If you have any recipes with memories that you would like to share, submit them to Heritage Recipes.

To everyone who has been helping me find recipes -- THANKS!

4 comments:

Sue said...

I cannot imagine living in a mud hut!

This is a great blog and what a great website. I will be searching through my Grandmother Blanche Pickens' recipes for something good for you.

Mariskate said...

I'm very into old recipes! I've been reading the 'Little House' series and they got me into this... Laura's life makes me want to go back and see what it would have been like to live in that time! Also, could you please find the recipe for johnny-cake?

EddieB said...

When I was growing up, my grandmother used to make Vinegar Pie. and I loved it. It was an old family recipe from the south. I have a book full of old recipes from my Grandma Peugh.

Holly said...

The Vinegar Pie recipes at HeritageRecipes.com are extremely popular. I have yet to make it myself. :-)
Holly, editor, HeritageRecipes.com